The Beloit College Powerhouse, the school’s new student union, combines a group of historic buildings that made up the Blackhawk Generating Station (originally built between 1908 and 1947) along with a new field house addition. The design retains architectural features and industrial equipment from the original structures while also incorporating new sustainable practices and gathering spaces.
New insulation regulates heat flow in the historic portions of the building while the polycarbonate façade of the new field house provides advanced thermal insulation and abundant natural light throughout the day. A radiant panel and slab system harnesses energy from the Rock River and uses it for most of the Powerhouse’s heating and cooling needs.
This article was originally published by David Malone in Building Design + Construction.