In 2017, when The Alexander Co. acquired Milwaukee Fortress, the venerable landmark was a wink away from the wrecking ball. Fire exits were nailed shut, living spaces were not up to code, electrical was failing, and the city of Milwaukee had issued an order to repair the deteriorating façade.
Two years and $55 million later, the Madison-based firm had transformed the six-story, 193,000-square-foot building into a mixed-use development housing 132 apartments, 25,000 square feet of retail space and a few offices. Located at 1726 N. First St., Milwaukee Fortress sits atop a bluff in Milwaukee’s Brewer’s Hill neighborhood, providing residents with a panoramic view of the city.
This was originally published by Mike Dries in the Milwaukee Business Journal.